PITCHFORK - Flying Lotus, Justin Timberlake, David Bowie, Bat for Lashes, David Byrne, Sigur Rös, More Involved in Tribeca Film Festival Selections
Also Sky Ferreira, Madonna, Kid Cudi, Green Day's Billy Joe Armstrong, Danger Mouse, more
This year's Tribeca Film Festival takes place April 13-24. Many of this year's films involve contributions from prominent musicians in acting, scoring, and even directing roles, including David Bowie, Flying Lotus, David Byrne, Bat for Lashes, Justin Timberlake, Sigur Rös, Danger Mouse, Madonna, Patti Smith, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong, and more. Below, find a list of some of those movies.
- LoveTrue, a documentary about three real-life relationships, directed by Alma Har'el and executive produced by Shia LaBeouf, features a score from Flying Lotus
- Madly is a collection of six short films that includes Natasha Khan's I Do, which she wrote and directed. I Do provided the inspiration for her upcoming Bat for Lashes album, The Bride
- The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, a drama starring Jason Sudeikis, "Game of Thrones" star Maisie Williams, and Jessica Biel, was scored by Justin Timberlake (Biel's husband)—his first time composing for a movie
- Contemporary Color is a documentary about the star-studded color guard event staged by David Byrne in 2015, which featuring music from St. Vincent, Dev Hynes, How to Dress Well, Ad-Rock, and more
- The Show of Shows: 100 Years of Vaudeville, Circuses and Carnivals is a documentary about the history of vaudeville that features a score by Sigur Rös
- The Chauffeur is a short film about a Los Angeles artist who works as a chauffeur, directed by Danger Mouse
- Elvis & Nixon is a comedy/drama about the relationship between Elvis Presley and president Richard Nixon—it stars Sky Ferreira in a supporting role
- Strike a Pose is a documentary about some of Madonna's former male dancers, which "revisits the men after years apart and provides us with a chance to learn about the emotional truth behind the glamorous facade"
- Let's Dance: Bowie Down Under is a documentary about the making of Davie Bowie's Let's Dance
- There will be a VR performance of the Grateful Dead's "Truckin'," which was recorded at their "Fare Thee Well" finale tour
- Patti Smith will also be interviewed about her career by actor Ethan Hawke during a live panel
- Bad Rap is a documentary about four aspiring Asian-American rappers, including Nora "Awkwafina" Lum of "My Vag" fame
- Vincent N Roxxy is a drama starring Scott "Kid Cudi" Mescudi, in which Emile Hirsch and Zoe Kravitz play lovers on the run. Questlove scored the film.
- I'll Sleep When I'm Dead is a documentary about superstar DJ Steve Aoki
- Geezer stars Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong as the former singer of a punk rock band attempting to fight off the realities of middle age
- DJ Z-Trip – Safety Last! is a live performance where DJ Z-Trip will score the silent film Safety Last!
- SHOT! the Psycho-Spiritual Mantra of Rock is a documentary about music photographer Mick Rock
- Gift of Gab is a documentary about Blackalicious' Timothy Parker and his battle with kidney disease
- Update (4/1, 1:09 p.m. EST): That Dog is a short film directed by Nick Thornburn (Islands/Unicorns). It's framed as a "comedy of errors," in which "two interloping idiots ininadvertently wreak havoc on the lives of others."
Read our interview with Nile Rodgers about David Bowie and the making of Let's Dance.